The Engine Shed is a special interest group for autistic children and young people who love trains.
Engine Shed helps autistic children to develop their social and communication skills using their special interest in trains and transport.
We provide child-led activities in community venues across London and the South East where the children can build and play with our huge model train sets in an understanding, supportive and relaxing environment.
- Engine Shed gives autistic children a sense of belonging and being part of a wider community.
- Parents gain a broader understanding of autism through sharing their own lived experience with other families and hear how other families have overcome obstacles in life.
- The families start to form new friendships and support networks with other families who share similar challenges.
- Engine Shed encourages autistic children to travel using public transport, promoting their independence.
- It helps them develop social and emotional skills, and to push their personal boundaries with the reassurance that the project is delivered in an understanding and supportive environment.
We regularly have over 25 children attending Engine Shed and they are engaged and focused throughout the 2-hour session.
Please contact us to discuss how we might help your children to develop their skills in cooperation, teamwork, communication, and problem-solving.